2008: Disastrous Trip to San Francisco continued
Hopefully you have already read about our Disastrous Flight to San Francisco. Well – the story doesn’t end there. Since the flight was delayed by four hours we missed our scheduled tour at Ghirardelli’s – which I have since learned they don’t do anymore.
Also – somewhere between the airplane train, and the San Francisco trolley, my son lost the brand new digital camera that I had given him as our adoption present 🙂
Then, to top it off, we got on the ferry to take us over to see Alcatraz, and when we arrived at the Island we were told that it was closing due to the horrible weather and we had to turn around and go back. I got seasick in the waves and nearly threw up again.
By the time we got back to shore it was about 4pm and we decided to go to the Hard Rock Cafe on Fisherman’s Wharf, but neither of us ended up eating much of our food because we felt sick. So – we headed back to our hotel, which we discovered had a pool that wasn’t open, so we just went to bed.
Pretty much the whole trip was a disaster.
But, I didn’t let that keep me from scrapbooking the experience :). For this spread I hand painted the background paper. The brown on the right hand side I streaked to make look like heavy rain, and the yellow on green on the left hand page was to help pull out the green from the pictures on the trolley. I used brown borders on the left hand page, and green borders on the right hand page to help tie the two pages together.
The San Francisco Trolley laser cut, San Francisco t-shirt, Alcatraz laser cut, and the Alcatraz coin were all items that I had purchased ahead of time on Ebay anticipating items that I would want for our adventure. I made sure to include the tickets from the trolley and the Ferry, and a patch that I purchased at the Ferry Store on this spread.
You will also notice that I included a picture on the bottom right hand corner that is very hard to make out – that is Alcatraz looking through a very wet window on the Ferry. That is about the best view of the Island that we got!
Again, although I don’t usually do this, I made sure to chronicle in a journaling block, the adventures from this day so that viewers would understand our experience.
Here are some lessons that I learned from this experience:
- Even though I thought it was a disastrous trip – my son had a great time and got over his fear of flying! He was actually disappointed that the trip back was some uneventful.
- Even if a trip or experience is bad – it is still probably worth scrapbooking about – because these events create wonderful family memories to laugh about later.
- San Francisco (pauletteandjon.wordpress.com)
- History of the World: Alcatraz, San Francisco (thehistoryundergrad.wordpress.com)
- 9 unexpected sights you’ll see on a trip to San Francisco: Part 1 (jenabinderup.wordpress.com)
- If you’re going to San Francisco… (startingupoffline.wordpress.com)
- 31 Days in SF Bay: Fisherman’s Wharf/Pier 39 (San Francisco) (joyceandnorm.wordpress.com)